Ways to Get Rid of Kitchen Sink Drain Smell
Even if you use a garbage disposal or sink strainer, your kitchen sink can sometimes smell bad. Food particles and other things make their way into your drain, get stuck and one morning they will give a foul smell. Luckily, dealing with the bad odor is not hard as you think. We have created 10 easy and quick ways to get rid of any type of kitchen sink smell and prevent it from getting back.
- Ways to Get Rid of the Foul Smell If You Use Garbage Disposal
- 1. Vinegar and lemon ice cubes
- 2. Lemon peels, ice cubes, and coarse salt
- 3. Hot water and dish soap
- Ways to Get Rid of Sink Smell If You Don’t Have a Garbage Disposal
- 1. Hot boiling water
- 2. Vinegar, baking soda, and boiling water
- 3. Salt, vinegar, baking soda, and boiling water
- 4. Baking soda, lemon juice, and boiling water
- 5. Essential oils, baking soda, and hot water
- 6. Hot vinegar
- How to Prevent Buildups From Settling Down the Sink?
- Occasionally pour baking soda down the drain
- Frequently Asked Questions
Ways to Get Rid of the Foul Smell If You Use Garbage Disposal
1. Vinegar and lemon ice cubes
Cut a lemon into small pieces, place it in muffin cups, and pour white vinegar on it. Let this sit in the freezer overnight. The next day, remove the cubes and put them down at the garbage disposal. Now run a small stream of water and close the disposal.
2. Lemon peels, ice cubes, and coarse salt
If the sink gives too bad an odor, you can pop a few ice cubes and salt down the garbage disposal. The ice will remove the food particles, and the salt scrubs the side. And at last squeeze some lemon juice into it for freshness.
3. Hot water and dish soap
Start by flushing hot and sloppy water through the garbage disposal while it is still running. Stop the sink with a stopper and add a few inches of hot water. Pour some dish soap in. To let the water flush through, turn the garbage disposal and unplug the sink.
Ways to Get Rid of Sink Smell If You Don’t Have a Garbage Disposal
1. Hot boiling water
You can never underestimate the power of boiling water. If you have just boiled water for pasta or anything, do not let it cool down. It will kill off milder smells in the drain. A good hot water flush is very important to keep your sink in good condition. Whenever you boil a kettle full of water, instead of letting it cool down, pour it down the drain.
2. Vinegar, baking soda, and boiling water
Another easy way to get rid of the sink smell is to use baking soda vinegar mixed flushed down with hot water. Take a cup of baking soda and 2 cups of vinegar. Pour them down together and then they will bubble up. Let this sit in the sink for a few minutes. Instead of using hot tap water, pour a kettle full of boiling water into the sink. This will kill the bacteria inside the drain and keep your sink fresh and free of bad odor.
3. Salt, vinegar, baking soda, and boiling water
Take a mixture of half cup of coarse salt and baking soda and one cup of vinegar. Pour these in order down into the sink. Then cover the drain until it bubbles up. It will just take a few seconds. Then pour a kettle of boiling water which will wash away the settled salt. This will remove the bad odor from your sink completely.
4. Baking soda, lemon juice, and boiling water
Just like how vinegar creates bubbles, lemon juice does as well. Take a cup of baking soda and squeeze some lemon juice into it. Let this sit for a while and pour them down the sink. Once it bubbles up, you can pour a kettle of boiling water into the drain. Unlike vinegar, lemon juice will give freshness.
5. Essential oils, baking soda, and hot water
If you are struggling with too much bad smell from your sink and want to smell some freshness, you can put a few drops of your favorite essential oils such as eucalyptus, tea tree, or mint. After throwing some baking soda into the drain, put some essential oils into the sink and let it sit for an hour. When the time is up, pour a kettle of boiling water into the sink. Tada, your kitchen sink will give a fresh smell as new.
6. Hot vinegar
Throwing hot vinegar down the drain will keep your sink clean and good-smelling. Throw some baking soda down the drain and pour hot vinegar. This will wash away all the settled materials and give you a fresh and new smell.
How to Prevent Buildups From Settling Down the Sink?
Cleaning your garbage disposal often will help prevent clogs and odor-causing buildups down the drain. Try to avoid the following things to prevent the bad smell from entering your sink.
- Do not pour grease or animal fat directly into your sink
- Keep the sink running until all the food leftovers are gone
- When operating garbage disposal, always run cold water to keep the engine cool
- To make sure the food particles are removed from the drain, you can flush some hot water down the drain every day after use
- Put some dish soap or liquid down the garbage disposal every once a week, then run hot water after turning the garbage disposal off
By doing the above, you can prevent your sink from smelling bad
Occasionally pour baking soda down the drain
When the smell is finally gone, often pour some baking soda into your sink every day or once a week to keep the incense from coming back. Baking soda acts as an excellent abrasive agent and washes away all the settled particles from the drain.
Frequently Asked Questions
You can clean your sink whenever you want. There is no set limit for that. Every day, after use you can pour a kettle of boiling water which will wash away the settled food particles.
Lemon juice acts as an amazing agent to kill the bad smell and bring freshness to your sink. Mix baking soda and lemon juice and pour them down the drain. Let them settle for a few minutes and pour some boiling water into it. Every settled particle will be washed away and you will get a fresh new smell from your sink.
We use the kitchen sink every day and must make sure it stays clean and smell-free. All the tips we have mentioned above will work well and you will get a clean and good-smelling kitchen. Hope this article helps you in bringing fresh scent to your kitchen. Write to us if you have any questions and we will get back to you soon.