Different Types of Faucet Materials and Finishes
Faucets are one of the widely used fixtures in our day-to-day life. Be it, the kitchen or bathrooms, it is one of our go-to fixtures. Every other activity in our kitchen or bathroom begins with the faucet or ends with it.
Materials that are being used to manufacture the faucets should be closely selected as they decide the life of the faucets. You need to know everything about a faucet before you invest in one.
This article is an entire guide that will furnish you with all the information about faucet materials and their finishes. We have also worked on the considerations that have to be carefully noted before you choose a faucet based on its material and finish.
Types Of Faucet Materials
Stainless steel is one of the wisest choices of materials when opting for a faucet. They elevate the entire look of your kitchen sink.
Stainless steel faucets are a perfect addition to any model of kitchen or bathroom. Be it a contemporary or modern form of kitchen, stainless steel faucets will seamlessly suit the layout.
- Stainless steel faucets are lead-free which will act as a protector for your entire family. Lead is supposed to be one of the most harmful metals to human beings. Staying away from lead is one of the serious pieces of advice from medical professionals in the present world
- Stainless steel is a good conductor of heat which means temperature variations in the flowing water do not affect the life of the faucet
- Natural properties of stainless steel make it stand against corrosion and rust
- Cost of stainless steel faucets is comparatively affordable
- Durability is high for stainless steel faucets which means investing in faucets is not recurring
- Maintaining a stainless steel faucet is inexpensive and does not drain much energy and time
Brass is an alloy made of a mixture of copper and zinc which means it comes with the advantages of both metals. Brass faucets will add a fine touch to your kitchen and bathrooms.
Even if you are looking for a traditional faucet, brass will serve the purpose. Brass allows the manufacturer to design faucets in desired shapes as it is highly malleable. Aesthetically pleasing quality is a natural property of brass that makes heads turn when anyone passes by the faucet.
- Brass can fight against germs and bacteria which protects the surroundings spaces and also your family members from getting affected
- Highly durable and sturdy faucets can be made of brass which keeps them long-lasting
- Faucets made of brass stand against corrosion and rust
- Cleaning a brass faucet is unchallenging and can be done with a normal cleaning solution
- Extreme temperature changes in flowing water do not affect the faucet as brass is a good conductor
Zinc was one of the rarest used metals in faucets. Myths have been broken by mixing them with other metals at minimum quantities to achieve excellent outputs. Zinc faucets are highly functional and can elevate the overall appearance of your kitchen and bathroom spaces.
Zinc faucets make the best fixtures as they are one of a kind and fit well for any model of kitchen or bathroom. Zinc has a natural antibacterial property that forms a protective barrier for your entire family.
- Highly durable metal is strong enough to withstand wear and tear
- Easy to maintain. A damp cloth with a regular cleaner will keep the shine of the faucet
- Appearance of zinc metal makes the faucet look new for a long time
- Temperature changes in flowing water do not affect the faucet
Life without plastic has become impossible. Whatever measures we take to avoid the inference of plastic, it still rules our life. Plastic faucets have sought a lot of attention among people for their affordability and comfort.
These faucets are usually highly functional and widely available. Plastic is usually preferred over metal faucets because there are zero chances of corrosion and rust when it comes to plastic.
- Cost-effective faucets that are comparatively cheaper than their counterparts
- Maintenance of plastic faucets are quite simple
- Anti-corrosive and anti-rust
- Can withstand high temperatures
- Wide design options are available for a plastic faucet
Copper faucets are not frequently considered for the faucet but again copper has broken all the folk tales to be the most mesmerizing faucet for your household. The natural glow of copper makes it look stylish. It escalates the overall look and feel of the entire layout.
If you are looking for a traditional ambiance, copper faucets will suit the best. Contemporary model spaces can also be fitted with copper faucets but a serious hunt for designs is advisable.
- Corrosive resistant property of copper will stand against any defects and make it look young and fresh
- Anti-microbial feature of copper fights against microbes and germs. This keeps away the chance of any mishappenings
- Copper is a good conductor of heat. Hot water flowing through the faucet will not affect the structure
- To retain the natural look of the metal, mild soap or detergent can be used
One of the rarest faucet options is the faucet made of bronze. However, the benefits that come along with it make people opt for it. The natural property of bronze will make it lose its natural shine and fresh look.
To prevent this, bronze is usually coated with a layer to protect the natural sheen of the material. You can choose a bronze faucet if you are looking to add a contemporary look to your space.
- Highly durable metal that will keep your faucets from breakage and damage
- The rust-resistant property will keep the faucet away from rust and corrosion
- Easy to maintain
Chrome is the most widely used finish layer for faucets. It gives a glossy finish to the faucet which adds a glow to the entire space. It is usually preferred for its quality of stain and rust resistance and also for its durability.
Chrome finish faucets are easy to clean and the new look can be retained for a longer duration. Chrome finish usually blends with other neighbor appliances and equipment in the kitchen and bathroom.
- Aesthetically pleasing
- Glossy finish
- Scratch resistant
- Easy to clean
If you're aiming to achieve a rustic look in the kitchen or bathroom layouts, the copper finish is the right choice. Copper will give a warm feel to the entire area and will help you achieve the look and feel of historic times.
One thing to be noted is that copper finish faucets need proper maintenance. The color of the faucet may decrease as time goes by. This is the natural property of copper.
- Anti-bacterial property
- Corrosion resistance
- Can withstand wear and tear
Shiny silvery glossy finish is achieved by applying a coat of nickel on the surface of the faucets. Brushed nickel and polished nickel are the most widely used forms of nickel finish in faucets.
A brushed nickel finish gives a matte look to the faucet whereas polished nickel gives a smooth and shining finish. Nickel finish faucets are suitable for any model of kitchen and bathroom model.
- Resistant to scratches
- Corrosion resistant
- Easy to maintain
- Suitable for all models of spaces
Brass finish faucets give an aesthetic feel to the faucets. This is achieved by applying a layer of paint to the faucet. But, the layer of brass naturally has the property of giving a rugged look to the faucet.
The contemporary model of kitchen and bathrooms can be retained with brass finish faucets. Polished and satin brass finish are the variants.
- Prevents fingerprints
- Stains are not apparent
- Wide range of designs
Matte finishes are one of the most modish options available in the market. Matte can give a classy touch to the space. One of the unique choices to make your kitchen and bathroom look attractive is by placing a matte finish faucet.
- Easy to clean the faucet
- Spot resistant
- Fingerprints resistant
Things To Consider Before Buying A Faucet Based On Material And Finish
Consider the cost before investing in a faucet. Each material can differ in cost. Also, the cost may vary depending on the finish of the faucet. Matte finish faucets will cost you more than a normal faucet because a lot of process goes into it.
The faucet you are choosing should be suitable for your lifestyle. It has to go with the style and model of your kitchen or bathroom. Ending up in a faucet that does not suit your needs will be a waste of money and energy.
Maintaining a faucet should be easy. It should not drain your energy separately apart from household activities. Ensure to gain deep knowledge of the maintenance of the faucet.
Faucet should be resistant to spots, rust, and corrosion. It should also not let stains stand on it. Make sure to confirm this before buying a faucet as this will decide the life of the faucet. Rust or corrosion on the faucet will demand a change of the faucet.
Not all materials will be ductile enough to allow the manufacturers to create a wide range of designs. Few materials will be sturdy not allowing room for bending and structuring. These variants of materials will come in lesser design counts.
Choosing a faucet based on the material and finish is a nerve-wracking task. Now that you have gained a thorough knowledge of the features of the faucet materials, it will be the icing on the cake for you.
Hope our article has served its purpose and helped you end with the best faucet that suits you perfectly. Our team is here to help you with all your queries. Feel free to contact us for any clarifications on the same.